Appium Script Generation
Appium has quickly become one of the leading test automation framework for the mobile app, game and web testing. Currently, due to the limitation of automation scripting skills leading to the majority of manual testers do not have the opportunity to experience an automation test. Even a manual tester with prior automation skill spends a lot of time and efforts to create and maintain an automation script.
Kobiton is introducing the Appium Script Generation service for customers who struggle with transitioning towards automation. Customers will find at Appium Script Generation a painkiller for the pain. Users now execute an exploratory test against the mobile application, Kobiton will generate an Appium script which can be used to revisit the exploratory test flow.
How does it work?¶
1. General flow¶
2. Detailed information¶
|1||You need to provide the session ID that you want to automate.
For example: https://portal.kobiton.com/sessions/12345
|2||Kobiton will verify the provided session
For example: Actions are performed on the app, account for login, etc.
|3||In case the session is invalid or lack of information, Kobiton will contact you to collect more information to ensure the quality of result.|
|4||Kobiton will deliver the result to you within 5 business days.
Note: Kobiton will provide 2 approaches for the result, you can either request one or both.
|4.1||A full Appium project will be delivered, you can modify and run the automation script on your computer based on your needs, please follow the guideline "How to execute the Appium Script provided by Kobiton" below for the test execution. (Scripting skills required).|
|4.2||You can schedule the manual session to be run on Kobiton automatically and you only need to access to https://portal.kobiton.com/sessions to see the test result. (No coding or application installation).|
How to execute the Appium script provided by Kobiton¶
Install Java JDK 1.8 here
Install IntelliJ IDEA (Community Edition) here
Download & unzip the full project package to your computer, which is provided by Kobiton
We recommend to use the JDK 1.8 for better testing experience, any lower JDK versions might lead to an error for running the test (incapable JDK with the project package) and requires you to manually configure the link between IntelliJ and JDK (Step 3)
Kobiton will send the Appium project package via email
Steps to execute the Appium project package¶
Assuming Kobiton provides the Appium project package with the name: “automation-appium-demo”
- Step 1: Open IntelliJ IDEA and open the “automation-appium-demo” project
- Step 2: On the project directory sidebar, navigate to
- For the test execution, you might need to wait around 2 - 5 minutes for the installation of all necessary library dependencies which are automatically resolved by IntelliJ IDEA.
- If you run the test during the installation process, it might throw an error. But, you can re-run your test after dependencies are installed.
- Step3: JDK configuration (Optional)
IntelliJ IDEA will automatically detect the required JDK for running the project. If IntelliJ has an issue for the JDK connection, then you need to follow these steps below:
Select the "Edit Configurations..."
Configure the connection from IntelliJ to the required JDK
- Step 4: Run your test
At the top right of the window, click the run icon
- Step 5: The test script will be executed (you can view your test process at the bottom of the IDE)
- Step 6: After the test finished, open the https://portal.kobiton.com/sessions to get your test results.
- You can see the session overview for the latest test session